Theming in Drupal8 was a massive shift from phptemplate to twig, but its more than changing the syntax. We changed the way of thinking about Drupal theming. Drupal twig theming is easy to learn, powerful, flexible and overall as awesome as warm coffee on a rainy day. The downside is that all the things you learned in Drupal now have to be relearned - Yes it's by design.
Over the last 4 years we (the frontend drupaltwig group) we got one burning question from the Drupal community.
“How I do this right the first time ? ”
The session will be a hands on, based on all the things I learned from designing the system with the drupaltwig team (aka the "twigtwams") and when building Drupal8 themes. We want to make sure you get Drupal8 theming right the first time. The examples will be mixed with background info & all the secret dirty stories from the last 10+ years of Drupal theming & where we go in the future.
- The secret plan behind it all, understand the concept & why we changed everything in Drupal8
- Template building: understanding the template suggestions & how to organise 120+ template files.
- Base theme(s) - do you need em?
- "Modern" CSS structures & templates, how it all fits together.
- Developer Tools & how to make your life easier
- CSS selectors & markup that goes to 11
- and all the tips, tricks & dirty secrets that can fit into a 45 minutes
About the Speaker
Morten is the webdesigner at geek Röyale & Tag1 consolting
Mortendk have been designing and building websites since 1996. In 2006 he got involved in the Drupal project, where he did not get scared away by drupals markup or theme system, but fell deeply in love with the community .
He sacrificed blood on an ancient viking blòt stone - promised to eradicate Drupals digits & making theming / frontend a first class citizen in the world of Drupal.
Since 2006 he have been spearheading multiple camps in copenhagen - is chairman of the Danish Drupal Community - was twice elected Community chair boardmember of the Drupal Association - Ideological father of Frontend United - the Speaker at to many camps & conferences to mention, and according to cottser the "idea man” behind Drupal twig.
Core maintainer of the Classy theme in Drupal8